The Eighth Taihu Design Award
The Eighth Taihu Design Award (TDA) is hereby held in order to thoroughly implement the national innovation-driven development strategy, serve the high-level opening up to the outside world, achieve the high-quality development requirements of the economy, further accelerate the development of creative design industry and the transformation and upgrading of traditional industries, improve the industrial design and trademark protection environment in China, and arouse public’s awareness of protecting the originality and respecting the design.
China National Intellectual Property Administration, the Ministry of Science and Technology of PRC, and the Jiangsu Provincial People’s Government
Intellectual Property Office of Jiangsu Province, Science and Technology Department of Jiangsu Province, Wuxi Municipal People’s Government
Wuxi Municipal Science and Technology Bureau (Intellectual Property Office of Wuxi City), Intellectual Property Publishing House Co., Ltd.
Wuxi (national) Industrial Design Park, Jiangnan University, Jiangsu Province Industrial Design Association
(ⅴ) Strategic Partner
D9X Social Venture
Ⅱ. Theme and Purpose
Theme: New Design· New Smart Manufacturing· New Life
Purpose: Under the theme of“New Design• New Smart Manufacturing• New Life”, the TDA aims at showcasing the technological innovation advantages and industrial supporting advantages of China’s manufacturing industry, exchange the advanced design of China with foreign countries, arouse the public’s awareness of protecting intellectual property, and thereby enhance the public’s respect for the original design. Meanwhile, the organizing committee will also build an influential comprehensive platform for communication and cooperation in the field of design in China. On the occasion of the TDA and China (Wuxi) International Design Expo, the TDA is intended to enhance the image of Wuxi - “Capital of China’s Design Protection”.
Ⅲ. Contest Group
The TDA consists of two groups: Design Concept Group and Product Group. It mainly covers the fields of smart science and technology, smart life, which involve electronic communication, transportation, medical health, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, wearable devices, equipment manufacturing, public facilities, energy and environmental protection, household appliances, daily necessities, sports and leisure, arts and crafts, education and entertainment, cultural and creative design, interaction and interface, mobile communication, and trademarks, etc.
Among them, the Design Concept Group aims to collect and evaluate the innovative works that have not yet been produced in mass. They can be a conceptual design for future production and lifestyle, or can be an alternative solution to traditional products, and should have potential for industrialization.
Product Group aims to collect and evaluate the works that have been designed or produced in mass. It requires that the products should be innovative, practical, aesthetic, economic and secure.
IV. Scope and Requirements
All companies, institutions, universities and scientific research institutes, design studios, independent designers and design groups worldwide are eligible to participate in the contest and shall meet the following conditions:
1. The participants must have the independent intellectual property rights for the entries submitted;
2. No other unit or individual has applied the same creative concept or product to China National Intellectual Property Administration before the submission date of the work;
3. The same creative concept or product can only be submitted to one contest group (Design Concept Group or Product Group);
4. The entries in Design Concept Group shall be original conceptual designs with independent intellectual property rights. Those that is identical or similar to the works that have been published, or those that have been awarded in other design contests, or the product scheme that has been designed for the service of third parties shall not be allowed to participate in the contest. The legal liability arising from the participant’s plagiarism of the works and theft of commercial secrets shall be borne by the participant and the Organizing Committee shall have the right to cancel its entry and award qualification unilaterally at any stage of the contest;
5. The entries of the Product Group shall be the products that have been industrialized after December 2015 or will soon be industrialized by enterprises and design institutions, have no intellectual property disputes, and have not won the awards of this contest. The works participate in the contest should be tangible and high-value industrial products and consumer goods, embody the innovative design features in the appearance, structure, materials, functions, colors or their combination, and have practicability;
6. The final entries of the contest shall embody creative innovations in such ways as graphics, models, videos, products etc., and submit corresponding materials for road show. Otherwise, the participants shall be deemed to give up the qualification for entry;
7. Submissions: (1) Fill in the application form (see the Annex); (2) Two layout plans in JPG format electronic files; the layout is A3 format (297mm*420mm) with a resolution of 300dpi; vertical typesetting. The contents shall include the title of the work, the rendering, the detailed drawing, the necessary structural figure, the basic appearance dimension diagram and so on, as well as using the brief words to describe the innovative features of products , the production process, the material and so on (the text must be in Chinese or English). The entries of the Product Group shall also provide physical photographs. No name (including English or Pinyin abbreviations) or any icon, graphic or other information related to the participant's identity may appear on the design layout, otherwise it will be deemed invalid.
Ⅴ. Review Criteria
(ⅰ) Design Concept Group:
1. Innovation (40 %): Conform to the theme and purpose of the contest, be forward-looking, novel, fashionable, and original, and comply with the aesthetic trend of modern society;
2. Feasibility (30%): Conform to the theme and purpose of the contest, fully consider the market value, and have the feasibility of mass production under the conditions of modern manufacturing technology and at reasonable cost;
3. Integrity (20%): Conform to the concept of energy saving, consumption reduction and environmental protection, and give user groups, environment, user experience, etc. into full account; for special works, take corporate culture and brand image into consideration;
4. Expression form of works (10%): The works shall have strong comprehensive performance ability, and can fully represent the design intention of the participants.
(ⅱ) Product Group:
1. Innovation (30%): To conform to the theme and purpose of the contest, have independent intellectual property rights, make reasonable use of new materials, new technology and new process, solve new problems, and play a leading role in the same industry;
2. Economy (30%): To have high cost performance and customer satisfaction degree, be suitable for market demands, and have good market prospects;
3. Function (20%): To have reasonable function and structure, convenient operation, safety and durability, and good after-sales service, provide new functions and new uses, and improve the way of living;
4. Aesthetics (10%): To show harmonious modeling and coloring, distinctive style and characteristics, exquisite detail processing, and conformity with the modern trend;
5. Sociality (10%): To pay attention to eco-environmental protection, adhere to sustainable development, save resources and energy, and facilitate recycling; stick to people-oriented design and pay attention to the vulnerable groups; carry forward the historical tradition and highlight the regional culture.
The Organizing Committee will commend the award units and winners, and issue certificates, trophies and bonuses as follows:
(ⅰ) Grand Design Award: 1 Winner
Bonus: 1 million yuan (Cash of 500,000 RMB +Wuxi landing support of 500,000 RMB)/certificate/bonus.1 million yuan includes: 500,000 cash award, office building, talent apartment for not more than 300,000 RMB rent relief in three years, patent pledge credit loans for at most15 million RMB, loan discounts, and patent insurance subsidies for at most 300,000 RMB.
(ⅱ) Design Concept Group
The “Design Concept Group” will select the Taihu Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards for creativity design, including:
Taihu Gold Awards for Design Concept: 3 winners; bonus: 50,000 RMB/ certificate/ trophy
Taihu Silver Awards for Design Concept: 10 winners; bonus: 10,000 RMB / certificate/ trophy
Taihu Bronze Awards for Design Concept: 25 winners; bonus: 5,000 RMB / certificate/ trophy
(ⅲ) Product Group
The “Product Group” will set the Taihu Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards for product design, including:
Taihu Gold Awards for Products: 3 winners; bonus: 100,000 RMB/ certificate/ trophy
Taihu Silver Awards for Products: 10 winners; bonus: 20,000 RMB / certificate/ trophy
Taihu Bronze Awards for Products: 20 winners; bonus: 5,000 RMB / certificate/ trophy
(ⅳ) Non-selected awards
Taihu Award for Most Influential Individuals in Ten Design Fields/Trophy/ Certificate
Taihu Award for Most Marketable Brands in Ten Design Fields/Trophy/ Certificate
(ⅴ) Special Awards
Taihu Award for Best Popularity: 1 winner; bonus: 10,000 RMB / certificate/ trophy
Taihu Award for Best Audiences’Choice: 3 winners; bonus: 5,000 RMB / certificate/ trophy
Best Guidance Awards: 5 winners; bonus: 5,000 RMB / certificate
Best Organization Awards: 5 wiiners; bonus: 5,000 RMB / certificate
VII. Process and Time Arrangement
1. Launch ceremony of the contest (December 2018):Launch ceremony of the Eighth Grand Design Award will be shown to invite the organizations, member units of the Organizing Committee, representatives of well-known domestic and foreign enterprises, and relevant media to participate, and release the request and award information of the contest.
2. Stage of works collection (from December 2018 to April 26, 2019). Those that meet the entry requirements can visit the official website of the contest (Website: www.id-expo.com.cn, WeChat Official Account No.: zgwx-idexpo) to have access to the detailed registration process and submit complete registration materials according to the requirements; the Office of the Organizing Committee will review and confirm the registration information within a week after receiving them. The participant must be responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of the information they have filled in.
3. Preliminary assessment and review stage of works (from April 27, 2019 to May 13, 2019). The Accreditation Committee will conduct preliminary assessment and review of the eligible entries in accordance with the evaluation criteria and recommend finalists for the contest.
4. Social publicity stage (from May 13, 2019 to May 19, 2019). The Office of the Organizing Committee may publicize the finalists through the website of the Office of the Organizing Committee, WeChat Official Account, and other media platforms to the society. Any organization or individual who has any objection to the released project may submit it to the Office of the Organizing Committee within 7 days from the date of promulgation. The Office of the Organizing Committee will summarize the relevant information and report to the Review Committee. The Review Committee will review and determine the finalists;
5. Finals and project road show of works (from the afternoon of May 25, 2019 to May 26, 2019). All finals shall be displayed centrally at the 15th China (Wuxi) International Design Expo. At the same time, the finalists will compete in the form of road show, and the Office of the Organizing Committee will organize the Review Committee to carry out on-site review activities.
6. The 8th Night of Design Awarding Party of Taihu Award (In the evening of May 26, 2019). The organizers of the Expo will commend the winning works and personnel.
Ⅷ. Supporting Activities
1. Professional Intellectual Property Service
All participants may obtain the right to use the intelligent patent retrieval system for industrial design worth 5000 RMB for three months free of charge. The participants may visit the official website
http://dscope.cnipr.com/ to make an application. Please indicate the name of the participant.
2. Business matching
Carry out a series of business matching activities for the finals.
(1) Matching service of works and enterprises
In view of the finals, select suitable enterprises to carry out one-by-one matching, and smooth the design achievement and industry channel.
(2) Crowd funding service of works
Carry out strategic cooperation with many well-known domestic crowd funding platforms, and realize effective matching of the excellent design works with the platform resources.
(3) Hatching service of works
During the contest, a large number of domestic and foreign venture capital funds, incubators, maker-space and other hatching resources will be gathered. It is possible to carry out face-to face communication with the original designers or design teams, explore the implementation of the excellent design projects, and promote the industrialization of the achievements of the contest.
3. Design Communication
The 15th China (Wuxi) International Design Expo will also hold professional forums where the participants will have the opportunity to carry out face-to-face communication with the designers of well-known domestic and foreign design institutions. During the contest, a large number of design exchange and sharing activities will be held.
4. Media Publicity and Promotion
(1) Television media: CCTV Economic Channel, Jiangsu TV, Wuxi TV Economic Channel.
(2) Network media: Tencent, Sina, Sohu, Netease, Phoenix New Media, Visual China Group, People’s Network, etc.
(3) Print media: People’s Daily, Xinhua Daily, Guangming Daily, Economic Daily, Jiefang Daily, Science and Technology Daily, China Intellectual Property News, Wuxi Daily, Jiangnan Evening News, Modern Express, etc.
(4) Social media: Microblog, WeChat, etc
Ⅸ. Management of Achievements
(ⅰ) The intellectual property rights of the entries in this contest shall be owned by the author. The Organizing Committee of the contest shall have the right to promote, display, publish and conduct other forms of promotion and propaganda of the entries of this contest. No unit, individual or third party shall re-design, produce, sell, publicize, publish, exhibit as well as conduct other forms of promotion and propaganda of the entries of this contest without the authorization of the author. Otherwise, the author shall have the right to investigate the legal responsibility.
(ⅱ) For the entries with the prospect of industrialization, the Organizing Committee of the contest may organize the participants to connect with the corresponding enterprises and industrialize the design achievements.
(ⅲ) Prepare publicity materials for the contest activities, display and promote at home and abroad, and expand the popularity and influence of the contest.
Ⅹ. Contact Information
Organizing Committee of China (Wuxi) International Design Expo
December 18, 2018